With the cold season – or at least, SUPPOSED to be cold – upon us, I thought we’d head north for our animals! Polar bears are dangerous but absolutely beautiful creatures. They are also vulnerable and on the edge of becoming endangered. With their habitats vanishing, their food sources are becoming less and less as well.
Five Fun Facts
1. A polar bear’s fur isn’t actually white, but transparent! Their skin underneath is black, but they appear white because of the reflective properties of the fur.
2. Scientists believe that the polar bear evolved from a common brown bear ancestor about 200,000 years ago.
3. A pack of polar bears is also called a ‘sleuth’.
4. Polar bears do NOT hibernate!
5. Remember what I said about the fur being reflective? It also works to make them invisible to infrared cameras!
Now, the live feeds are a little hit and miss, so I’ve also included a feed from the San Diego Zoo that you can find HERE, just in case the bears are feeling less than camera ready. Enjoy!